Grilled Plaice with Red Onion, Caper and Fennel Butter
Recipe courtesy of O’Grady’s on the Pier, Barna, Co. Galway
- 100g/4oz butter
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- pinch of lemon rind
- squeeze of lemon juice
- a few capers
- 2 tbsp finely diced fresh fennel
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To Serve
- braised puy lentils, roasted Piedmont peppers
- Preheat the grill. To prepare the red onion, caper & fennel butter, place the butter in a pan with the red onion, lemon rind and juice, capers and fennel and warm together until just softening - there should still be a crunch.
- Arrange the plaice fillets on a non-stick baking sheet and spoon over enough of the butter sauce to just coat. Place directly under the grill for about 4 minutes, without turning, until just cooked.
- To serve, spoon the braised puy lentils onto warmed plates and arrange the roasted Piedmont peppers to the side. Warm through the remaining butter sauce and then carefully transfer the plaice fillets onto the plates, spooning the remaining butter sauce on top. VARIATIONS For a special occasion, use Dover sole; otherwise small brill or lemon sole would work well.