Lamb and barley hot pot
Another mouth watering dish from Sunway Travel
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 2. Preheat an oven to 160C/320F/Gas 3.
- 3. Peel the onions and slice them into thick rings.
- 4. Cut the celery into short lengths.
- 5. Peel the parsnip, carrot and potatoes and cut them into fat chunks.
- 6. Pile the vegetables into a large deep pot, then tuck in the chops, thyme and bay leaves.
- 7. Add the corn beef.
- 8.Season with a little white pepper, no salt, then pour in the drainedbarley and enough water or stock to cover the meat and vegetablescompletely. Bring it slowly to the boil.
- 9. Skim off the worst of the froth that has accumulated on the surface with a holey spoon.
- 10.Cover the top of the stew with a sheet of greaseproof paper, then witha lid. Transfer the pot to the oven and cook for two hours.
- 11.Remove the lid. The liquor should be thin, thickened only slightly bythe potatoes. Chop the parsley and mix it in carefully, so as not tosmash the vegetables, then season with salt and freshly ground blackpepper.
- 12. Leave overnight. Next day, skim the fat from the top,then reheat slowly on the stove til the meat is thoroughly hot and thebroth gently bubbling. Season as required and serve piping hot.