Jam filled Holiday cookies which have been a tradition for a Polish Christmas Eve
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 625 g all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 15 g baking powder
- 455 g shortening
- 235 ml milk
- 28 g active dry yeast
- 6 g salt
- 315 g any flavor fruit jam
- 40 g confectioners sugar for decoration
- Warm milk to just above room temperature.
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture is mealy.
- Stir in the egg yolks and milk mixture.
- Knead the dough together and then refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dust a clean, dry surface with confectioners sugar.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Carefully roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out circles with a cookie cutter.
- Place a teaspoon of jam on the center of each circle, fold the dough over, and seal the edge with a fork.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Do not store in an airtight container or they will become soggy.