A delicious crowd pleaser!
Preparation Time:50 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 175g caster sugar, sifted icing sugar, for dusting
- 2. Lightly grease a 23x33cm Swiss roll tin, and line with baking parchment.
- 3. Put the 175g of chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of hotwater. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until melted. Leave to cool alittle.
- 4. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk for about 5minutes until pale and creamy. Add the cooled melted chocolate and stir toblend evenly.
- 5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Using alarge metal spoon, carefully fold into the chocolate mixture.
- 6. Turn the chocolate mixture into the tin, tilting the tin so that the mixturespreads evenly into the corners. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to thetouch.
- 7. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- 8. Place a clean damp tea towel over the cake with a board on top. Invert,remove the tin and peel away the baking parchment.
- 9. Roll up the cake with the damp tea towel to keep the sponge moist. Leave tostand for about 5 minutes.
- 10. Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set overa pan of hot water. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate hasmelted. Leave to cool a little.
- 11. Quickly fold into the whipped cream, taking care the chocolate doesn't splitbut sets to form a mousse.
- 12. Unroll the cooled cake don’t worry if it splits as the mousse will stick ittogether again.
- 13. Leaving a 2cm margin all round, spread the chocolate mousse evenly over thecake.
- 14. Sprinkle the fruit, if using, evenly over the filling.
- 15. Carefully roll up the cake again.
- 16. Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.