Coq au Vin
Coq au Vin
Preparation Time:25 minutes
Cooking Time:50 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 bottle good red wine
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 4-5 tbsp butter herbs (oregano, parsley)
- 10-15 baby onions (or sliced onion)
- salt & pepper
- Streaky bacon, rindless, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 button mushrooms
- Add the mushrooms and fry for another two minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add the chicken pieces to the hot oil and cook for 5 or 6 mins until browned a little on all sides.
- Add the brandy, stand well back and light it with a match, (mind the eyebrows) then shake the casserole gently until the flames go out.
- Add the wine, chicken stock & the rest of the herbs and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for an hour on top of the stove or in the oven at 170C.
- After an hour add the onions, bacon and mushrooms and cook for another 30 mins.
- Remove the chicken, bacon and veg to a warm bowl and keep to the side.
- Bring the liquid from the casserole dish to the boil. Cream together the rest of the flour and the butter and add this slowly to the liquid until it thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and serve with new potatoes or pasta. Enjoy….