Recipes for all kinds of muffins.
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 250g (9 oz) plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 225ml (8 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Blueberry Muffins: Add 175g (6 oz) fresh blueberries.
- Sultana Muffins: Add 150g (5 oz) sultanas.
- Date Muffins: Add 150g (5 oz) finely chopped dates.
- Cheese Muffins: Fold in 125g (4 oz) grated Cheddar cheese, and reduce sugar by half.
- Bacon Muffins: Fold in 75g (3 oz) crisp cooked, diced bacon, and reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with a fork.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture.
- Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat.
- The batter will be thick and lumpy.
- Add any fruits, nuts, chocolate, etc. (see footnote below) at this point and gently fold in to combine. Pour the batter into a muffin tin that is either greased or lined with paper muffin liners. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.