Spicy, tangy collard greens accented with black pepper bacon, cayenne pepper and vinegar are a big deal in Brazil. Here is my recipe. Since bacon fat is an essential part of this recipe don't drain it during any of the steps! I say that if your veggies are fattening then eat a lighter main dish
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:2 Hours
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 225 g peppered bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 910 g collard greens - rinsed, stemmed and torn into 3x6 inch pieces
- 235 ml chicken stock
- 2 g cayenne pepper
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- Place bacon in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook until browned and most of the grease has been released.
- Stir in onion and cook until tender and glistening, about 4 minutes.
- Place collards into the pot and stir to coat with the bacon drippings.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Season with cayenne pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Stir red wine vinegar into the pot.
- Continue cooking 15 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about 1/2.