My old man’s superb chicken
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:45 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 170g/6oz mushrooms, any combination
- Olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 x 200g/7oz skinless chicken breasts
- 1 x 500g/1lb 2oz pack of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 heaped tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 large wineglass of white wine
- 140ml/5fl oz double cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Chop up the mushrooms - half rough and half fine.
- To a hot pan, add a couple of lugs of olive oil and slowly fry the garlic with the mushrooms for about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Allow to cool.
- Pull back the chicken fillet on the breast and, keeping it intact, score into the breast and stuff the chicken with the cooled mushrooms.
- Using a little dusting of flour and a rolling pin, roll the pastry out to around 45cm/18 inches in length, 20cm/8 inches wide and just over 0.5cm/1 inch thick.
- Slice into 4 pieces, lengthways, and wrap around each chicken breast.
- Brush the pastry with a little egg, and cook in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the mustard and white wine into a hot pan and allow to reduce until youve cooked away the alcohol smell.
- Add the cream and simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, then remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Slice each chicken breast into 3 and serve with a bit of sauce and a little drizzle of olive oil if you like.