Brazilian Black Bean Stew
This easy yet wonderful stew can be made any time of year. The meat can be omitted without compromising the dish. Serve hot with a great bread and a nice spinach salad.
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 15 ml canola oil
- 115 g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 150 g cooked ham, chopped
- 110 g onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 908 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small hot green chile pepper, diced
- 355 ml water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
- 10 g chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 g salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the chorizo and ham 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the onion in the pot, and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic, and cook until tender, then mix in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, chile pepper, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir the beans into the pot, and cook uncovered until heated through. Mix in the mango and cilantro, and season with salt.