Deep-fried Dublin Bay Prawns
Deep-fried Dublin Bay prawns in ketaifi pastry, lemon mayonnaise & chilli jam, cucumber relish.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:50 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 20 Dublin Bay prawns, shelled deveined
- 100 g plain flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 packet of ketaifi pastry
- For the chilli jam
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 ml red wine
- 100 g sugar
- 1 cm piece of root ginger, peeled & grated
- 8 red chillies, deseeded & finely diced
- For the cucumber relish
- 50 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 cm piece of root ginger, peeled grated
- 1 cucumber, deseeded cut into fine strips
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- For the lemon mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- zest juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon mayonnaise: Combine the ingredients together in a bowl. Chill
- Cucumber relish: Simmer the sugar, fennel seeds, vinegar and ginger in a saucepan for 20 minutes. When the liquid is cool, add the cucumber and dill.
- Chilli jam: Place all the ingredients except the chillies in a saucepan. Cook over gentle heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the chillies and allow to cool.
- Deep-fried Dublin Bay prawns in ketaifi pastry: Preheat a deep-fat fryer to 160°C/325°F. Dip the prawns in the flour and then the beaten egg. Tear the ketaifi pastry into short lengths, about 10 cm. Roll the prawns in the pastry and deep fry until crisp and golden, about 3?4 minutes
- To serve, place five prawns in ketaifi pastry on each plate and place a spoonful of lemon mayonnaise, chilli jam and cucumber relish around the prawns.