Caesar salad “pick me ups”
I come up with this idea when nibbling on some Caesar salad whilst preparing it. These little Caesar salads make a tasty and unusual finger food when entertaining and are always a conversation piece. Makes approx 25-30 “pick me ups”
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:5 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the salad:
- 1 packet of baby gem lettuce (2 heads)
- 6 back bacon rashers, cooked under the grill
- 4 Scallions finely sliced
- For the croutons:
- 4 slices white bread, cut into a small dice
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
- For the dressing:
- 8 Tablespoons finely grated fresh parmesan
- 2 Anchovy fillets
- 2 Small cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 Teaspoon of whole grain mustard
- 1/4 Lemon, juice
- 200 g mayonnaise
- For the dressing place the garlic, anchovies, mustard and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Puree till smooth, then add the mayonnaise and 2 table spoons of the grated parmesan.
- Season with fresh ground pepper. With the blender running add a fewtablespoons of boiling water until the dressing is the consistency ofthick cream.
- Cut the stalk form the baby gems and cut in remove the individual leaves. Wash and dry well.
- For the croutons toss the dice bread in the olive oil and place on abaking tray, bake in a hot oven. 180c / gas mark 4 until golden andcrispy. Remove from the oven and leave on the hot tray to cool.
- Cut the bacon into thin strips.
- Lay the individual baby gem leaves onto a plate and fill each one with a little bacon and scallion.
- Sprinkle each leaf with a little of the remaining grated parmesan and serve.