Salmon kebabs and spicy rice
Try these delicious Salmon kebabs
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 300g/10oz boneless salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Grated rind and juice 1 large orange
- 1 tbsp clear honey, warmed
- 1 small red and yellow pepper, deseeded
- 1 courgette, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 8 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 red chillies, according to taste deseeded and chopped
- 2 leeks, about 200g/7oz in weight, trimmed sliced and thoroughly washed
- 300g/10oz basmati rice
- 750ml/1 1/4pt vegetable stock, made using
- Just Bouillon stock cubes or powder
- 225g/8oz French beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander, optional
- 8 wooden kebab skewers, soaked in
- cold water for 30 minutes
- Discard the skin and fine pin bones from the salmon, rinse lightly.
- Cut into bite sized chunks.
- Place in a shallow dish.
- Blend the soy sauce with the orange rind, juice and honey and pour over the fish.
- Cover and leave to marinate for 12 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Turn the fish over occasionally.
- Cut the peppers and courgette into equal sized pieces and the onions into wedges.
- When ready to cook, drain the salmon, reserving the marinade, and thread with the vegetables and bay leaves onto the soaked kebab skewers.
- Line the grill rack with tinfoil and preheat the grill to hot.
- Place the kebabs on the grill rack.
- Cook the kebabs for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked.
- Turn the kebabs over frequently brushing with the remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile for the rice dish; heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic, chilli and leeks.
- Cook stirring for 5 minutes before adding the rice.
- Continue to cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add half the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped beans together with a little more stock and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add more stock if needed.
- Stir in the carrot, black pepper to taste and then the spring onions.
- Sprinkle with the coriander and serve with the kebabs.