A great traditional Irish bread, goes well with almost everything.
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:40 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 574g/4 cups (1.25 lbs) plain flour sieved
- 1 teaspoon bread soda
- 15fl oz (1/2 to 3 pt) buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Small drop of fresh milk
- 1 rounded teaspoon Bextatar (raising agent)
- 25g /1oz sugar
- Heat the pot/oven and grease with a little lard
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a basin and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in nearly all the milk and egg; gather in the flour and mix to a loose dough, adding more milk if necessary.
- With floured hands, knead lightly on a floured board or table and flatten out. Cut a cross on top.
- Place dough in pot/oven; cover with heated lid. Place hot coals on top to give all round heat.
- Alternatively bake in a greased round pyrex dish with lid, preheat oven (425F, 220C or gas 7 for 40 min.
- To keep the bread soft, wrap in a clean damp tea towel when it is taken out of the oven.