The Amazing Orange Cake
Every now and then, a recipe comes along that is set to take over the world. The Amazing Orange Cake is just such a recipe.
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour and 10 minutes + cooling time
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 500g butter
- 500g castor sugar
- 8 x 60g eggs
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 500g self-raising flour
- 200ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Icing: 250g icing sugar and 50ml orange juice
- Heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3. You will need a 30 cm cake tin with removable sides, lined with non-stick silicone paper (eg Bakewell), or well-greased with butter.
- Cream the butter and sugar well, until it is very pale and thick - this will take quite a while.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition, and the zest, if using. Add the flour all at once, and beat well, then slowly add the orange juice, until it is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes - or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (slow is best, so don' t be afraid to cook it longer. If it starts to brown too much on the top, cover loosely with a sheet of buttered kitchen foil.)
- Leave the cake in the tin on a wire rack to cool, then gently remove the sides of the tin.
- To make the icing, stir the orange juice into the icing sugar until you have the right spreading consistency, and apply with a palette knife, allowing the icing to drip down the sides of the cake. Leave the icing to set before cutting the cake into wedges or storing in an airtight container