Red pepper and olive soup
Smooth, ruby red soup with a fresh, zippy flavour and just a suggestion of spice.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:20-30 minutes + leave for 10 minutes to set
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 6 sweet red peppers (capsicums)
- 350 g canned plum/roma tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- half tsp ground cumin
- half tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.2 litres chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tiny black olives
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Roast the red peppers in a baking tray for around 20 to 30 minutes until scorched and blistered.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave, covered, for 10 minutes, then peel off the skin, catching the seeds and juices in a bowl. Strain out and discard the seeds and keep the juices.
- Combine the skinned red peppers with the cooking juices, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper and olive oil in the food processor and blend.
- Combine the red pepper liquid with chicken stock and heat to a high simmer. Add the olives at the last minute.
- Taste the soup for salt, pepper and cayenne, and serve sprinkled with a few extra drops of olive oil.