Apple Lemon & Vanilla Cake
Lemon and vanilla work wonderfully well together in cake recipes.
Preparation Time:30 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour and 30 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- * 2-3 Bramley apples - sliced or diced
- * 75g/3oz sultanas
- * 75g/3oz muscatel raisins
- * 2-3 dsp apple juice
- * zest of 1 lemon
- * few drops of vanilla essence
- * 150ml/1pt olive or sunflower oil
- * 50g/2oz soft brown sugar
- * 50g/2oz caster sugar
- * 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- * 350g/12oz plain flour - sieved
- * 11 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- * 1tsp cream of tartar
- * 1 tsp cinnamon
- * 1 tsp nutmeg
- * icing sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl place the dried fruits, apple juice, lemon zest and vanilla essence.
- Mix well together and leave to infuse for approximately 15-20 minutes until the fruit has plumped up and softened. If you are pressed for time, warm the apple juice before adding to the fruit and the fruit should be plumped up in 5 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil and sugars for approximately 4-5 minutes until everything is well mixed. Add the eggs a little at a time and beat well after each addition. The mixture should now be light and frothy. Mix together the sieved flour, spices and raising agents and add to the bowl, in 3-4 stages, mixing gently after each addition until everything is well mixed. Now add the apples and the dried fruits and mix well. Transfer the cake mixture to a lined cake tin about 18-20cm/7-8inches in diameter and bake in the oven@ 180°C/gas mark 4 for approximately 11 hours or until it is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cold. I prefer it warm and served with yoghurt.