Meatballs with Eggs
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the meatballs:
- 500g / 1lb 2oz minced beef or lamb
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- small handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- small handful flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg yolk (to bind)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the tagine:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g / 14oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 200g / 7oz frozen peas
- 4 free-range eggs
- handful parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 2. For the meatballs, place the beef, onion, garlic, spices, fresh herbs and egg yolk into a large bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Knead with your hands to form a smooth paste. Roll into walnut-sized balls and set aside.
- 3. For the stew, in a tagine or heavy-bottomed lidded casserole heat the olive oil, add the onion and sweat until translucent.
- 4. Add the meatballs and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Combine the tomato purée with the canned tomatoes and add this to the tagine along with the honey. Cover and simmer for ten minutes.
- 5. Add the peas to the tagine or casserole and stir. Carefully break the eggs onto the top of the stew. Place the tagine or casserole into the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked to your liking, approximately ten minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with couscous.