Preparation Time:30 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking Time:10 to 30 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the dough:
- 400g / 14oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 free-range egg
- 220ml / 8fl oz milk
- For the filling:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2cm / 3in piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 4-5 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1. For the dough, place the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, egg and milk in a large bowl and mix to form a dough. Knead for about ten minutes until smooth, then cover with cling film and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
- 2. For the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the ginger, onion, garlic and chopped chilli and fry until soft. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and garam masala. Cook for a further two minutes, then stir in the mashed potato.
- 3. Add salt to taste and stir in the fresh coriander.
- 4. To make the parathas, divide and roll the potato mixture into six balls of equal size and set aside.
- 5. Divide the dough into six equal-sized balls, flour the kitchen worktop and roll each ball of dough into a disc about 11cm/1in thick.
- 6. Place a ball of potato filling in the middle of each piece of dough and bring the edges up around the filling so it looks like a giant dim sum dumpling. Twist the top to seal it. Turn the ball-shaped paratha over and, with a bit of flour sprinkled on the top to stop everything sticking together, roll very gently into a flat disc.
- 7. Grease a flat-bottomed frying pan with ghee or vegetable oil and heat until very hot. Place the parathas into the pan with the twisted side down and leave for a couple of minutes to cook. Brush a layer of ghee on the top side and then flip over and cook for a further two minutes.
- 8. Cook until golden on both sides and serve.