Chocolate-Crusted Lemon Tart
Another delicious recipe from Green & Black's
Preparation Time:40 minutes
Cooking Time:40 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- PASTRY DOUGH
- 125g all-purpose flour
- 25g Green Blacks cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 25g confectioners sugar
- 70g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 90g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa content, grated
- 3 juicy unwaxed lemons
- 35g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 390ml heavy cream
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- To make the pie crust, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and confectioners sugar. Rub in the cold butter using a food processor or your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg yolk with the water, and add to the mixture to make a dough. You may need a little more water. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough from the center and away from you, then back to the center and down towards you, using your weight to push down on it to avoid stretching it. Line the tart pan.
- Prick the pie shell with a fork in several places and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the over to 200°C.
- Line the pie shell with parchment paper and baking beans and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes. (Be careful not to overbake as the chocolate crust can quickly develop a bitter taste.) Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 170°C.
- While the pie crust is still hot, scatter the grated chocolate evenly over the bottom and then let cool.
- To make the filling, finely grate the zest from the lemons into a mixing bowl. Squeeze and strain the lemon juice and add it to the zest along with the sugar. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved, then whisk in the eggs and the cream until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell and carefully return it to the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until just set but still a bit wobbly. Remove from the over and leave on a wire rack to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.