Chocolate Berry Torte
Another delicious recipe from Green & Black's
Preparation Time:25 minutes
Cooking Time:40 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 25g cup all-purpose flour
- 30g teaspoons Green Blacks organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 85g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa content, broken into pieces
- 20g unsalted butter
- 70ml heavy cream
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 150g raspberries
- mixed berries and whipping cream to serve
- 100g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa content, broken into pieces
- 25g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 130°C. Butter the cake pan and lightly dust with flour to coat. Sift together the flour and cocoa and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat, add the butter and the cream, and stir well until the mixture is quite liquid. Remove bowl from pan.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, add the sugar, and continue to whisk until think and glossy. In another large bowl, beat together the egg yolks then gently fold in the flour mixture. Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Spoon a few dollops of egg white into the mixture, stir, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Gently pour half the mixture into the prepared cake pan, dot half the raspberries evenly over it, then pour the rest of the mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and unmold onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter, cream, and confectioners? sugar. Immediately pour it over the cake to coat it completely, smoothing the icing using a metal spatula. Leave for 1 hour to set.
- Serve with whipped cream and mixed berries.