Lemon and mango tart
The best lemon and mango tart
Preparation Time:15 minutes + leave 30 minutes to chill
Cooking Time:20 minutes for the pastry + 45-50 minutes to bake
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 50g ground almonds
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 130g chilled butter (diced)
- 2 mango (peeled and cut into 1 cm dice)
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 1 egg white (beaten)
- For the filling:
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 4 medium eggs
- Grated zest and juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
- Place the flour, butter, ground almonds, salt and icing sugar in a food processor and whizz to make fine crumbs. Add in the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of water and pulse until the mixture comes together to make a firm but moist dough.
- On a floured surface, lightly shape the pastry into a ball, then roll out and use to line a 20cm fluted flan tin. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 190o for 10 minutes. Lift out the paper, return to the oven and continue to bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is dry. Brush the pastry with the egg white and return to the oven for 5 more minutes until the egg white has dried and the pastry is shiny. (This process will prevent the pastry going soggy once the filling is poured in).
- Lower the oven temperature to 150o.
- For the filling, whisk the caster sugar and the eggs until foamy. Beat in the cream with the lemon zest and juice. Arrange the mango cubes on the bottom of the empty tart case and pour over the lemon mixture.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 – 50 minutes until just set. (Don’t worry if it’s wobbly in the centre as it will set as it cools).
- Cool at room temperature, slip out of the tin, then dust with plenty of icing sugar. Serve at room temperature with creme fraîche.