Tomato and Basil Soup
It is important to use good quality, ripe, vine tomatoes in this recipe for that authentic flavour.
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- For the base:
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) vine ripened tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 50g (2oz) ciabatta bread, crumbled
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- Croutons to serve (see Top Tips inside front cover)
- Put the garlic and olive oil in a large pan and cook gently for a minute. Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are really soft and concentrated. Add the tomato puree, 425ml (3/4pt) water and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then add the bread and stir until the bread absorbs the liquid. Cool slightly before stirring in the basil.
- Blend in a food processor until smooth. Adjust the seasoning and serve with croutons and a drizzle more olive oil if desired.