Baked vegetable Moussaka served ideally with a green salad.
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour
Level of Difficulty:Difficult
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/fan200C/425F/gas 7. Thinly slice potatoes, put into a pan with boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Slice the aubergine and courgettes 5mm (1 in) thick, place on a large roasting tray.
- Drain the potatoes, add to the tray and pour over 4 tbsp of the olive oil, toss together and season. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Add the sliced onions, turn the vegetables over and cook a further 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat the remaining oil in a medium frying pan, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the tomatoes, add the tomato puree, sugar and oregano and boil for 5 minutes, stirring until thick, remove from the heat and season.
- Take the roast vegetables from the oven and reduce the temperature to 190C/fan170C/375F/gas 5.
- Transfer half of the vegetables to a 1.7L (3 pint) ovenproof dish, spoon over half of the tomato sauce, crumble over the feta cheese. Add the rest of the vegetables and tomato sauce.
- Mix the egg with the yogurt and Parmesan cheese, spoon over the top, then bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden. Stand for 4-5 minutes before serving with a crisp green salad.