Tuscan style braised beef
Slow cooked seasoned braised beef ideally served with potatoes and vegetables
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Difficult
- Heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole, add the meat, and cook over amedium heat, turning until brown on all sides. Remove from the pan, add onions,celery and carrots and cook, stirring until golden and softened. Add garlic,cook for 1 minute then pour in the wine, stock and tomato puree and stiruntil simmering.
- Return meat to the pan with rosemary, season well. Cover and place in the oven.
- Braise for 3 hours, turning half way, add a little water if the liquid level drops lessthan 500ml. The meat may need longer, (depending on the cut) but should bevery tender.
- Remove the meat from the casserole onto a carving board, cover with foil and rest for 15-20 mins before carving.
- Meanwhile, press the cooking juices and vegetables through a sieve into a pan(discard solids). Simmer uncovered to reduce and thicken the sauce, seasonif needed.
- Thickly slice the meat, serve with the sauce and crushed or mashed potatoesmixed with extra virgin olive oil.