This is a good way to get children to eat vegetables. Make sure you dice them very small and to begin with just give them a small amount
Preparation Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:30-35 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 225g (8oz) pre-cooked lasagne 2kg (41lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 175ml (6floz)
- 175g (6oz) onions 1.3kg (3lb)
- 175g (6oz) carrots 1.3kg (3lb)
- 3 sticks celery 2 heads
- 175g (6oz) courgettes 1.3kg (3lb)
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs 55g (2oz)
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes 2 x A10 (2.7kg) cans
- 115g (4oz) tomato puree 1.3kg (3lb)
- 300ml (10floz) water 3.4 litres (6pints)
- Cheese Sauce
- 115g (4oz) Cheddar cheese 1.3kg (3lb)
- 25g (1oz) butter or margarine 350g (12oz)
- 25g (1oz) plain flour 350g (12oz)
- 600ml (1pint) milk 6.8 litres (12pints)
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard 55g (2oz)
- Preheat the oven the 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease a deep lasagne dish, approximately 30cm (12in) square, with a little of the oil.
- Peel and dice the onions. Wash the carrots and celery and then dice. Trim the courgettes, and slice thinly. Grate the cheese for the sauce.
- Saute the onions, carrots, celery and courgettes in the remaining olive oil for a few minutes, then add the herbs, tomatoes, tomato puree and water. Bubble for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter or margarine then adding the flour. Cook until the texture and colour are sandy, then add the milk, stirring continuously until thickened and smooth. Add the cheese and mustard, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange half of the lasagne on the base of the dish. Pour half the vegetables over the lasagne, then top with another layer of lasagne. Top with the remaining vegetables, then pour over the cheese sauce. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and the lasagne is soft, about 30-35 minutes.