Leek & Olive Tart
Preparation Time:20 minutes plus chilling
Cooking Time:45 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz butter
- Pinch of salt
- 100g/4oz drained pitted black olives
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 100g/4oz drained pitted black or green olives
- 1 (200ml) tub creme fraiche
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g/3oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the flour, butter and salt in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the olives and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add 30-45ml 2-3tbsp cold water and pulse until the mixture forms a firm dough.
- Lightly knead, wrap and chill for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 34x10cm/13x4in fluted flan tin.
- Line with baking paper and half fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 20mins, removing the beans for the final 5 mins, until the pastry looks pale golden and dry.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: heat the oil in a frying pan, sauté the leeks for 4 mins until soft.
- Stir in the olives, season to taste and leave to cool.
- Beat the creme fraiche and eggs together until smooth.
- Reduce the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Spoon the leeks and olives into the pastry case, pour in the creme fraiche mixture and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 25mins or until golden and the filling is just set.
- Serve warm.