Once you learn how to make pastry galettes, there is no end to the wonderful toppings you can dream up to serve with them.
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 200g all butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 6 fresh figs
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g camembert cheese, cut into 8 slices
- fresh chives or basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- 1. To make puff pastry galette: If not already pre-rolled, roll out the pastry to 2mm thick and cut out 4 discs using a 10cm wide pastry cutter (or wine glass rim / or saucer base). Prick well with a fork and place on a baking sheet lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a second sheet of parchment paper and weigh down with a second baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes until crisp and golden.
- 2. To make the fig jam: Chop 3 of the figs into small pieces and place in a saucepan with sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, then stop stirring and allow to simmer for 10 mins. The jam will thicken slightly once it is remove from the heat and as it cools.
- To assemble galette: Slice each of the remaining figs into 4-6 wedges. Smear a spoonful of jam over each galette, Lay 2 slices of camembert in the centre, followed by some fig wedges. To serve, warm in the oven until the cheese just starts to melt. Garnish with fresh herbs.