Herb and Leek Crusted Cod
Recipe courtesy of Cavistons Seafood Restaurant, Glasthule, Co. Dublin
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 small leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 50g/2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g/2oz plain flour
- 4 x 200g/7oz pieces skinless cod fillet, pin bones removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To Serve
- gratin Dauphinoise, buttered long stem broccoli, lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4. Heat half of the olive oil in a pan with the butter and then sauté the leeks for 3-4 minutes until softened but not coloured. Stir in the parsley and breadcrumbs, then season to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Place the flour on a flat plate and season generously, then use to coat the cod pieces, shaking off any excess. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and sear the cod pieces for a minute or so on each side. Transfer to a non-stick baking tray and place in the oven for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the partly-cooked cod fillets from the oven and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top in an even layer. Return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes until just cooked through and tender. The time it takes will depend on the thickness of the fillets.
- Transfer the herb and leek crusted cod to warmed plates with the buttered long stem broccoli. Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve with a separate dish of the gratin Dauphinoise.