Baby Spinach Salad
A delicious summer salad.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Easy
- 1 garlic clove , peeled but left whole
- 8 rashers smoked back bacon , chopped into large pieces
- 1 small baguette loaf (about 125g), cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 eggs
- 200g pack fine French beans , trimmed
- 140g mild blue cheese , crumbled into chunks
- 200g bag baby spinach , washed if necessary
- For the dressing
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a lowish heat and add the garlic and the bacon. Cook the bacon slowly until starting to sizzle, then add the bread to the pan and toss in the bacon juices.
- Fry everything together slowly (this can take a good 15 mins) until the bacon is ultra-crisp and the croutons are crunchy, drizzling the pan with a little more oil if it becomes dry. Once cooked, fish out the garlic clove and set the pan aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, tip the eggs into a pan of boiling water and boil for exactly 71 mins. Cool in cold water, then peel and set aside.
- Cook the beans in a pan of heavily salted boiling water for 5 mins or until slightly crunchy but still bright green. Drain, tip into a pan of ice-cold water, then drain again and set aside.
- To serve, tip everything except for the eggs and dressing into a large bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss gently with your hands. Scatter the salad over a serving platter, halve the eggs and strew over the salad, seasoning the yolks with sea salt flakes and a grind of black pepper.