Delicious Dessert, Blackcurrant Pavlova
Preparation Time:60 minutes
Cooking Time:75 minutes
Level of Difficulty:Intermediate
- To make the pavlova line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment paper and draw a 23cm circle,turn the paper over. Preheat the oven to 130C (110Cfan) mark 1.
- Put the egg whites into a large clean bowl and whisk until just stiff. While still mixing, add the caster sugar one tablespoon at a time. With about 4 tablespoons remaining, mix the cornflour into the sugar and add all at once and whisk until very stiff and glossy. Carefully fold in the vanilla and vinegar.Scoop the meringue onto the paper and push the meringue out to fill in the circle, creating a dip in the middle.
- Fill a piping bag and form rosettes around the edge of the circle Bake in the oven for 11 hours or until firm and crisp around the edges. Turn off the oven and allow the pavlova to cool in the oven (it may crack if removed directly from the oven to room temperature)
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and transfer to a flat serving plate.While the pavlova is baking, put the blackcurrants into a pan with 3 tablespoon water and gently bring to simmer, cook for 1-2 minutes until the juice just begins to run from the fruit and colour the juices.
- Blend the cornflour with 2 teaspoons of water, add to the pan and simmer until the juices have thickened. Turn the blackcurrants into a bowl to cool. When ready to assemble, whip the cream until softly peaking, fold in the creme fraiche then add half of the blackcurrants and fold about four times to create a swirled effect. Pile this onto the pavlova, gently spreading it to the edge then spoon over the remaining blackcurrants and syrup.
- Allow to sit for 1 hour minimum before slicing.